Friday, January 14, 2011

Make mine an Amontillado!

Perhaps it occured to you just now that you do not have dinner plans for this evening, much as it just occured to me that I have empty seats for a pretty fantastic dinner I have planned for tonight? Perhaps also you have an interest in some of the most wonderful sherry to ever see a bottling? And maybe I just happen to have a menu to show you?

Et voila!

saffron arancini
clam salad with fregola

Manzanilla, Bodegas Hidalgo, La Gitana //
Sanlúcar de Barrameda

Grilled Octopus
baccalà foam, crushed fingerling potatoes, culatura di alici

Manzanilla Pasada, Equipo Navazos, La Bota de n° 20 //
Sanlúcar de Barrameda

Roasted Squab
squab leg confit, cannellini beans, Bra sausage

Amontillado, Barbadillo, Principe de Barbadillo //
Sanlúcar de Barrameda
Amontillado, Emilio Lustau, Almacenista Miguel Fontadez Florido //
Jerez de la Frontera

Braised Beef Cheek Cappellaci
chestnut ragù, finanziera sauce

Amontillado, Perez Barquero, Gran Barquero //
Amontillado, Gutiérrez Colosia //
El Puerto de Santa Maria
Amontillado, Bodegas Hidalgo, Viejo V.O.R.S. //
Sanlúcar de Barrameda (bottled in 2006)

Seared Foie Gras
bitter chocolate polenta cake, huckleberry jus

Amontillado, Gonzalez Byass, Del Duque, Muy Viejo //
Jerez de la Frontera
Amontillado, Bodegas El Maestro Sierra, 1830, Vinos Viejos //
Jerez de la Frontera
Amontillado, Bodegas Tradición, V.O.R.S. //
Jerez de la Frontera
Amontillado, Equipo Navazos, La Bota de n° 9 //
Sanlúcar de Barrameda

A fine collection of sherry, with several aged for over 30 years in cask, including some of the greatest La Botas yet released, the 1830 from Maestro, and Bodegas Tradicion's amazing work. Seared lobes of foie gras with huckleberry jus. What is not to like about this picture?

Also, there is the Liem factor. The guest speaker and host for this dinner will be Peter Liem, who I firmly believe is one of the top authorities on sherry to be found anywhere. I also believe that he is an all around good guy who is pleasant to hang out and have dinner with.

This dinner is tonight, Friday the 14th, at 7:30pm, at a restaurant I just happen to work in located at 11 East 53rd Street between Madison and Fifth Aves in Manhattan. There are some seats available.

The cost of this event is $125 + tax and tip. That price includes all food and wine.

Please email me should you like to attend:



adam said...

I would love to hear your thoughts on the 1830; it's in my portfolio but I've not had the opportunity to taste it because it's scarce and I'm not made of money. The Bota's I've been able to get my hands on down here(10,11,16) have always been astounding.

Great writing.

Levi with an i said...

Adam, thank you for your comment.

The first half bottle of 1830 seemed to be suffering from some serious biological illness of some kind. I suspected Andromeda Strain. We threw that one out. The second bottle was quite pleasant, if still funky, which is my read on El Maestro in general.

I think that with other quite wonderful options available, it is an open question as to whether the 1830 is worth the price asked.