Friday, October 7, 2011

Talking with other sommeliers and hearing what they have to say, part 1

Over the summer I sat down with several of my favorite sommeliers on behalf of the wine website Snooth, and I asked each wine guy (or gal) a few questions. I tried to raise the kind of questions that I myself might like to be asked in an interview. Questions that seemed relevant, with an understanding of both the sommelier job and of each particular venue, rather than the "name your desert island wine" kind of boilerplate. I wanted to hear what people really had to say regarding what they were up to, and also a bit about who they are. In the end, I spent quite a bit of time with some people whose company I really enjoy.
Maybe you'd like to see one of these interview sessions? The first, an interview with Joe Campanale of Anfora and dell' anima, is up online at Snooth.
Joe Campanale of dell' anima, L'Artusi, and Anfora
Joe and I spoke about the kinds of wines that interest him, how he approaches service, and some of the people who have most inspired him, as well as whatever else we thought to say to each other in the moment. Check it out.

If you do take the time to watch either of the two videos of myself and Joe, please also let me know what you think in the comments here on the blog. I'd really be curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

3 comments:

Mary Adeline said...

I absolutely loved the interview!! I think both you and Joe Campanale are very intriguing, easy-to-watch wine personaliies. Keep it up!!

Levi with an i said...

Thanks, Mary!

The Wine Mule said...

If you guys keep talking about Puzelat, there isn't gonna be enough pineau d'aunis to go around! (Kidding) Very nicely done interview; finally there's a reason to use Snooth.