Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Sitting down for a chat with Patrick Cappiello


Recently, I had the opportunity to talk at length with Patrick Cappiello, who is the Wine Director and Sommelier of GILT Restaurant in New York's Palace Hotel. Patrick has been quietly assembling an amazing wine list over the last two years, and I thought it would be a good time to check in with this extremely knowledgeable steward about what he is now bringing to the tables at GILT.

This is the ceiling at Gilt, in the lounge area. This is one of my favorite places in all of Manhatan to uncork a bottle of wine. There is a feeling of the exquisite in the surroundings that adds to the sense of awe I find in a great wine.
The mantelpiece in the lounge at Gilt. Being surrounded by such details helps attune one to finding the detail in a layered wine, I think.

I was lucky to get to talk with Patrick and to hear what he had to say, just as I have been lucky in the past to follow his wise counsel about bottles of wine from his great list. You can peruse that list here. See the full interview for yourself: I promise that time listening to Patrick will be time well spent.

1 comment:

Those Beats said...

Great videos, thanks for sharing. I've had Gilt on my radar for a while but it just didn't seem to transpire. (much more likely to go to TenBells myself). Thanks for the recommendation, I hope to finally find myself there soon.