Sunday, February 19, 2012

Significant Flowers

click on the image for an enlarged view

When I look at the illustrations from this old book I do not recognize anything at all. There is not one flower or shrub that I can say, I know what that is, I've seen that before. Which is a reminder to me that we interpret what we see, and what we taste, through the formal languages of our time in history. I express what I taste in the same way that you do, and in this way we understand each other. But I wonder for the future. How will they in that time say "floral?"

1 comment:

Community Wines said...

Levi,

As a middle school math teacher I experience this everyday. My students use the word pimp as an adjetive in conversation, even with their parents. I won't be surprised if one day I will hear a wine described as "pimpish."

Brad