Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Translated moon

I came across this verse from the Tang poet Li Bo (also known as Li Po or Li Bai), and I thought I would share it with you. It is a small part of a larger poem that might be translated as “Drinking Alone Under the Moon.”

A bottle of wine under the blossoms,
drinking all alone.
Raising the cup to the bright moon,
with the shadow we become three.

Sometimes I think we don't speak about the transformative power of wine, the way it can change a mood or create a feeling of connection. Sometimes I like to remember that feeling, instead of the trophies.

I didn't know this before, but it turns out Li Bo was something of a poet of wine. Wine was a regular theme in his work. If you happen to come across a Li Bo verse that you like, perhaps you'll share it with me?

The verse above was rendered in translation by David Landis Barnhill.

No comments: